Tuesday 3 September 2019

Mt Pearce 24 August 2019

First hill since returning from holiday, a nice break in the winter weather prompted a visit to Mt Pearce on Banks Peninsula. This is normally a drive-up but a bit dangerous in winter. Besides, it's a nice 30 minute walk up from the Summit Road. I checked with the farmer first even though it's shown as a road on topomaps, just in case he was still lambing. Andrew Craw 027 4557340

It was a beautiful sunny day in Christchurch but on the Summit Road - not so much! Drank my coffee and off I went. By the time I got near the top, the weather cleared and it started to warm up.

Going up through the reserve would be tough going - stick to the road!

Gear setup as usual, endfed 41' wire (UNUN at left) and KX2 strapped to my leg. A good number of chasers, local and NZ/Aus/Japan. Ian was on Saddle Hill and John on "Johns Hill" for S2S :-)
31 contacts and 2 points in the bag.

 View looking across to Saddle Hill where Ian ZL3GIG was operating.

Spectacular view of Pigeon bay from my operating position.

All in all, a great day out. A nice walk, good weather, plenty of contacts and finished off with a nice coffee and chat with Ian back at the Little River cafe!

I'd highly recommend this summit as one you could use as an introductory walk and/or SOTA.